According to a Bosch Automotive Aftermarket survey, only 1% of women indicated that they are able to troubleshoot their vehicles when they experience a breakdown, compared to 48% of men. The survey polled 350 Malaysian drivers aged between 18 – 55 to glean insights into car battery management habits, which also revealed battery failure as the main cause of vehicle breakdowns.
Additionally, 84% of the respondents said that they would turn to family and friends while only 12% of them will call auto assist organisations when their cars stall due to a battery failure.
“The survey revealed that there are still many female drivers who are not aware of how they can prevent car breakdowns caused by car batteries. At Bosch, we strongly believe in empowering drivers, especially women, to possess more knowledge about their cars and be able to identify early signs of battery failure,” commented Pang Yoon Kong, Country Manager of Bosch Automotive Aftermarket in Malaysia.
Here are five signs that might signal for a failing car battery:
- Slow engine crank. The cranking of the engine is sluggish and takes longer than normal to start.
- Dashboard Warning Light. When the battery power is weak, the engine warning light on the dashboard appears.
- Having to jump the battery. Replace the battery if the vehicle has been jump-started more than three times in a week.
- Swollen battery case. Car battery exposed to excessive amounts of heat may swell and results in a shorter lifespan.
- Smells like rotten eggs. As a car battery contains sulphuric acid, it may vent a foul smelling gas, much like rotten eggs when it has been internally shorted, frozen or overcharged. Have the battery inspected as soon as possible as the sulphuric acid leakage may damage other car parts.
As such, 29% of women drivers, compared to 22.6% of men, are still using lead-acid batteries as opposed to maintenance-free ones, as the survey revealed. “More drivers now prefer maintenance-free batteries, compared to lead-acid batteries which require constant and regular maintenance on the driver’s part. Maintenance-free batteries have more advantages as they typically have higher cranking power and charge capacities, recharge faster and last longer. Drivers are able to enjoy a stress-free driving experience without worry about battery water levels at different states of charge,” added Pang.